About Me

My photo
No, Vasundhara is not my real name. I am breaking it in for a friend!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

To read or not to read is the Q?

I have always actively pursued my hobby for reading. I read extensively. I have never restricted myself by authors or genre. I read classics, fiction, scientific fiction, tragedy, comedy, plays, and more. However, I have consciously and conscientiously tried to ensure the "substance" and "content" I lay my eyes upon.

This made me wonder about what life would be without books. Rather, were books an integral part of man’s existence? I present before you my thoughts on why should I, or for that matter, a man should be reading books.
In today’s humdrum life, when we seldom have time to stand and take note, when we go through the proverbial motions almost unconscious of life going by, the mind seeks a refuge…far from the maddening crowd.
A refuge that transports us to realms unknown and unexplored. To realms that are a figment of our imagination…a place where we can dare to dream, and not be scoffed at. To a heaven that is a safe haven to let go and to seek that which has been out of our reach…a Utopian land that fulfils us as beings. That enriches us. Enlightens us and whets our appetite for more…that rekindles hope within our hearts to strive, to strike, but never to yield to the vagaries of life…and what better refuge than a book!?! To quote Francis Bacon, reading does make a full man.

A well read man has at his disposal a vast sea of knowledge that is indispensible. Books teach us about life. They coax us to dream. They stoke the passionate fires within our hearts that lead us to attempt the unbelievable.
Books give us an insight into things. They give us a point of view. They inspire.

Pick up any book on varied topics you can think of, and you are bound to gain. Here is a word of caution though: Think before you pick up a book to read.
Mark Twain has rightly put it thus,” The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.”

The sheer ability of a book to take you aboard its flight of fantasy is what appeals to me. Books are an incessant source of stimulation to the intellect. I feel enriched and blessed to have read and that I am able to appreciate good books.

Edward P. Morgan has aptly put this thought into words when he wonders, “A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy.”

Reading good books will help evolve us as humans. It will not only help enrich ourselves, but also the world around us.

As regards whether people should still be reading books or not, I feel the day I stop reading, I’ll stop living.
Phew! How true!! What is a man without books? Clichéd as it may sound; books certainly are man’s best friend.

1 comment:

Brainblaze said...

read Milan Kundera...you'll fall in lowe!