About Me

My photo
No, Vasundhara is not my real name. I am breaking it in for a friend!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Death, Be Not Proud !!!


Oh! There are so many things that i would want to write on...the sad story is, that each time i log in to my account, i am left thinking for 'what-precisely-should-i-write-on?' !!
I had this urge last night, to write on Death. Reasons: best -known to me, and I have just decided that I am not going to share them here...
However, Death, it is!
Different things to different people- that is how i define 'Death'.
To a child, the loss of an important cornerstone of her life; to an adult, the loss of companionship/friend; to an artist, the loss of a pioneer/champion to the cause; to a soldier, the moment-of-truth of his duty; to a student, the fear of losing an opportunity to learn from the one who left; to a musician, a subject he can pick to express his talent on; to a celebrity, yet another/maybe final brush with the paparazzi; to a conman, a chance to con yet again or a turning point in life, that results in him never conning anyone anymore; to a protege, the loss of a guide and mentor...this could go on...each one of us can interpret it the way we want to.
To me, it is not a force, but , 'how do i put this?', ah! 'a subject which never ever fails to draw my undying attention to it!!'
I would lie to all of you if i say that i am strong enough to remain unaffected by what 'Death' does to people around me...that i remain composed when i lose a loved one. Yet, every bursh with it lends some 'strength' to cope with it. So while it is tears and denial in the first few minutes, it is courage to face the truth in the rest of the next that follow. And there have been times, when this barrage of strength gives way, and the over-bearing human nature to weep takes over, and then, tears do flow. So much to let myself know, i am human ;) !
Drawn to Death eversince i got to know what it means/does not mean, I have sought to understand what it is all about. My writings, my expressions, my talks, all bear an impression of my ummm... not inclination, but certainly, interest/will to stand tall before it!
Death serves like an 'experience'-the more you get to witness it from close quarters, the more 'used-to' you get to it and its dark ways. Yet, each time you get back to the 'living' faster than you did the last time.
Death teaches!!
It teaches us to let go, to rejoice while we have the time, to cherish wonderful memories of those who have left us, and the oft-quoted truth, "nothing is eternal. Life and our existence upon this Earth is ephemeral."
The human spirit is 'elastic'...and it rebounds, after each such brush with this snubber! and as they say, life goes on...
As far as my thoughts go, the only befitting end to these thoughts is here, in the very words of John Donne:

"Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppie, or charms can make us sleep as well,
And better then thy stroke; why swell'st thou then;
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die."

1 comment:

Brainblaze said...

deep and a rather interesting read.